Oh my goodness. What a perfect way to make your home feel welcoming. Your family and friends will smell the goodness before their foot crosses the threshold. This dessert smells amazing.
Pops and Chloe work late on Wednesdays and I wanted to make them extra glad to be home. They could not wait to get through dinner so they could find out what I had in the oven for them.
Make sure tho serve this warm with your favorite vanilla ice cream. People will remember this cake for a long-long time.
Upside Down Caramel Apple Skillet Cake
For the Caramel Apple Layer:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2-3 medium apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder.
- To make the caramel: In a 9 inch cast-iron skillet, melt a stick of butter on medium low heat. When it begins to bubble stir in the brown sugar. Continue stirring until smooth and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla. Allow to cool while you make the cake layer.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Cream butter and brown sugar with your hand mixer until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add milk and mix until combined.
- Stir in, by hand, the cinnamon, flour and baking powder. Stir just until combined.
- Arrange the apples over the caramel mixture. Spoon the cake batter over the apples and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving dish.
This recipe is shared at Meal Plan Monday