At long last, the recipe is finally here! Ever since I posted about our Poultry Grill-Off, people have been asking for the winning recipe. Can you blame them? It has a lot of things going for it. First of all, it is award winning after-all. It did beat out the competition at our event. Secondly, if you've been around for long, you know that my brother K.C. is the grill/smoker master of the family. If he made it, there is a good chance it has been researched and tweaked and perfected. Then there's the name, bacon explosion, it just sounds like something you have to try!
The problem was there was so much going on during our grill-off. I was busy explaining the judging rules and helping the contestants get their meats plated and cut into bite sized pieces for sampling. So, I didn't really get any pictures of the finished products. Now if that isn't a head slapper, especially for a food blogger! So though I was able to post about the fun day we had, it was hard to post the recipes of the top entries.
Luckily we are always happy to have people over and my brother and Matt are always happy to light the grills. So we hosted a mini do-over. A smaller group and no judging sheets, but the top two poultry recipes were made and photographed. I still had a swarm of hungry folks over my shoulder, so the pictures aren't the best. But believe me both the char siu chicken and this turkey bacon explosion are worth making! In an added twist of fate, the day that worked best to have our mini grill-off reunion happened to be the weekend before the bacon event for Sunday Supper. Erica from The Crumby Cupcake must have read our minds when she scheduled this!
This turkey bacon explosion is a poultry twist on K.C.'s now famous bacon explosion. Normally he does pork on pork, but we went turkey for his entry in the poultry competition. Both are really good. Just think about it, crispy crumbly bacon rolled up in ground turkey or pork and wrapped in a bacon weave then slow smoked. Add a little of your favorite rub and BBQ sauce you are are really in business! It makes for a fun presentation and is sure to be a hit with all of the bacon lovers in your life!
K.C.'s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion
2 lbs bacon
2 lbs ground turkey
1-2 tsp of your favorite BBQ rub
1-2 cups BBQ sauce (a thinner glaze type sauce works best)
- Place ground turkey in a gallon zipper topped bag and press into a square. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook a pound of bacon until crisp. Crumble and set aside.
- Basket weave the other pound of bacon. Sprinkle with rub.
- Carefully open the zip top bag and cut down the sides. Invert the square of ground turkey onto the bacon weave, season with half of the BBQ rub. Sprinkle crumbled bacon over the turkey. Drizzle with a couple of tablespoons of BBQ sauce.
- Roll ground turkey and cooked bacon into a tight roll. Then roll the basket weaved bacon over the ground pork roll. (You can kind of see in the video, KC uses the bacon weave to get the turkey roll started, but leaves then puts the bacon weave back down. Once the turkey is rolled up, he rolls it back towards him bringing the bacon weave with it.)
- Place in low smoker for a couple of hours, or until it reaches 160 F. Or you could grill it over indirect heat if you don't want to worry about smoking it. KC. has done this on his gas grill, his smoker and a charcoal grill and all of them work great.
- Once the bacon explosion reaches temperature, spread remaining BBQ sauce over it and cook until warm and yummy.
- Let rest for a few minutes, then slice and serve!
Now lets see what the other Sunday Supper taste makers are serving up with their bacon. I can almost smell them all from here!
Bacon in Appetizers
- Apple and Bacon Jam Quesadillas by Nik Snacks
- Bacon Barbecue Nachos by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Game Day Bacon & Cheddar ‘Tater Skins by Powered By BLING
- Killer Jalapeño Poppers by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
- Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Candied Maple Bacon by A Mind Full Mom
- Maple Bacon Protein Pancakes by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Bacon Brownie Balls by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies by Desserts Required
- Boozy Bacon Cherry Crumble by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Bacon Crack by Brunch-n-Bites
- Flourless Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Maple Bacon Truffles by Dessert Geek
- Spiced Apple Bacon Upside Down Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Bacon Corn Chowder by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Fried Rice by Asian In America
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf by April Golightly
- Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta with Steak and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- K.C.’s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion by Cooking With Carlee
- Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice by kimchi MOM
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- The Pigskin Loaded Baked Potato by Sunday Supper Movement
- Triple Bypass Burgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Candied Bacon Old Fashioned by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Bloody Mary with Candied Bacon Swizzle by Our Good Life
- Pancetta with Balsamic-Brown Sugar-Pepper Glaze for Bloody Mary by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Bacon, Fig and Goat’s Cheese Quiche by Caroline’s Cooking
- BLT Bread Salad by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Manwich Club by Momma’s Meals
- Restaurant Style Double Bacon BLT by The Freshman Cook
- Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes by Family Around The Table
- Bourbon Bacon Jam by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon, Beer & Jalapeno Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Easy Bacon, Beans & Greens by My Life Cookbook
- Greens with Gruyere and Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Peas with Bacon and Crispy Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.