It's pizza day! It's pizza day! The Sunday Supper tastemakers are celebrating pizza today and I just had to join in. The problem with sharing pizza recipes is I always just throw whatever I have on there. There is not measuring, just adding a bit of this and a bit of that. I love the traditional combinations, we tend to go with ham, green peppers and mushrooms a lot We also love the different, BBQ, white, bacon and eggs, and of course buffalo chicken.
But I wanted to try a new combination of tasty things to post for you all today. So, I did my normal survey of the ingredients I had on hand and that's when it hit! There was a big bag of kale I had bough for a pot of zuppa tuscana before the weather had turned from chilly to warm once again. So I grabbed that up along with the rest of the ingredients and decided to make a pizza inspired by the soup. Matt is always happy to see a pizza and never to pumped about soup.
What is wrong with him? A hot bowl of soup on a cool day is like a bit of heaven. Maybe someday he'll come around.
Either way, we will certainly have some soup as fall goes on and the cool temperatures come to stay. But in the mean time soup inspired pizza is just fine with me too! I just love the flavor of a good Italian sausage. Of course a creamy sauce and plenty of melty cheese never hurt a thing. The kale was a partially soft and cheesy with little crispy bits on top. The super thin potatoes added a nice texture and rounded out all of the ingredients I love in my zuppa tuscana. I've had a loaded potato pizza before, but don't think to put them on my homemade pizzas very often so it was especially fun to give it a go.
We just loved our pizza and I can't wait to see what everyone else made. What are your favorite pizza toppings? I'd love to know!
makes 1 13x18" pizza
1 full recipe sourdough pizza dough (or your favorite pizza dough recipe)
1 lb Italian sausage
2 1/2 T flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup whole milk
1-2 cloves garlic
2 cups mozzarela cheese or an Italian blend
2 cups lightly packed chopped kale
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper
- Peel the potato and slice 1/16" thick on a mandolin. Soak in salt water for at least 2 hours but up to 12 hours.
- When ready to make the pizza, preheat the oven to 475 F. Roll or press pizza dough into a 10x15" pan, cover and set aside.
- Toss kale in olive oil, salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a skillet, brown the Italian sausage then drain off the grease. Stir in the flour and garlic and cook off for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer to thicken a bit. Stir in the milk and bring just to a simmer.
- Spread the creamy sauce over the pizza crust, then top with the cheese. Drain the potato slices and squeeze all of the extra water out. Spread in a thin layer over the cheese. Spread the kale over the top.
- Bake at 475 F for 35-30 minutes.
Pizza has so many great options for toppings and I can't wait to see the delicious recipes my fellow Sunday Supper bloggers made. Which one are you going to make first?
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Monica's Table
- Cool Veggie and Ranch Pizza Appetizer by Positively Stacey
- Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders by Family Around the Table
- Pizza Beef Wontons by Asian in America
- Pizza Potato Skins by Casa de Crews
- Cinnamon Roll Pizza by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Home Canned Pizza Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Caramel Apple Dessert Pizza by The Foodie Affair
- Cheesecake Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Macaroon Pizza by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Fruit Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Jam, Pear and Butternut Squash Pizza by Caroline's Cooking
- Bagel Pizzas by And She Cooks
- BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Candy Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Chicago Deep Dish Pizza by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken Pesto Calzone by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Chicken Vegetable Pizza (Low-Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Copycat UNO's Pizza by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Deep Dish Fondue Pizza by Momma's Meals
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls by Crazed Mom
- Easy French Bread Pizza by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Everything Pizza Tartin by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fall Veggie Pizza by The Culinary Compass
- Gluten Free Curried Pumpkin Chicken Pizza by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Wraps by Food Lust People Love
- Hawaiian Pizza Salad by Cricket's Confections
- Homemade Pan Pizza by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Lunchtime Pizza Muffins by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Meatball Sub Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Mexican Pizza by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas by Home Sweet Homestead
- Mom's Family Style Cavatini by Powered by BLING
- Onion Tart by Wholistic Woman
- Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pizza Pot Pies by Brunch-n-Bites
- Pizza Steak Hoagie by The Freshman Cook
- Pizza Toscana by Cooking with Carlee
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Pizza with Balsamic Onions by Helpful Homemade
- Rustic Bacon & Citrus Pizza by Gourmet Everyday
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Arugula Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Grilled Pizza by Our Good Life
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Pizza Bread by Mindy's Cooking Obsession
- Supreme Breakfast Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Taco Dip Pizza by Hardly a Goddess
- Tandoori Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil and Mozzarella by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- The Mac Pizza by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vegan Margherita Pizza by Simple and Savory