So, I feel like we have a ball or two in the air right now. It's all part of the fun right? Fun or crazy, or maybe a little bit of both. All that to say that sometimes it pays to have a quick dinner or two in your back pocket. Something that comes together with very little fuss but is a hearty and delicious family pleaser. This turkey tamale pie fits the bill.
The corn layer has a mild sweetness from the corn muffin mix and just a hint of interest from chiles. Then a nice layer of meaty goodness and enchilada sauce. Of course it is all topped of with melted cheese, because well... cheeeeeese!
You can use the toppings to make it your own. Like it spicy? Add some jalapenos. Like it creamy? Add a nice dollop of sour cream. Like it extra cheesy? By all means, pile on some more cheese! Of course you can sprinkle on cilantro or green onions or pico de gallo or whatever your favorites are as well.
So I am in the market for some fun and fast dinner ideas until the craziness settles down a bit. Let's hope that comes sometime early in 2017! What are you favorite quick weeknight dinners?
Turkey Tamale Pie
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1/3 cup milk
1 can cream style corn
1 4oz box corn muffin mix
1 can chopped green chiles
2 cups enchilada sauce
1 cup colby jack
salt and pepper
Optional toppings: sour cream, green onions, cilantro, jalapenos
- Preheat oven to 400 F and spray a 9x13" pan or a 12" cast iron skillet.
- Brown turkey, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and cumin. Drain if necessary.
- Stir together the milk, egg, cream style corn, corn muffin mix and chopped green chiles.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake until just barely set, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spread turkey over the cornbread mixture. Top with enchilada sauce and then shredded cheese. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, cilantro, green onions and jalapeno slices.