These muffins come together really quickly, so don't let the sourdough part scare you off. It is a great use for some spent sourdough when you go to refresh it. Then there is the oatmeal and yogurt to help make these a well-balanced choice. You even get some fruit in the orange juice and cranberries. Woo-hoo!
These would also be a perfect breakfast for Thanksgiving morning. Bake them the day ahead to free up your oven if you eat at lunch or bake them fresh if you eat a little later. Either way your guests will have a little something to eat, but not too much. We don't want to spoil the big meal later! Again, whatever are left can be thrown in a freezer bag for another day. Perfect!
Cranberry Oatmeal Sourdough Muffins
makes 12 muffins
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oil
1 1/2 cup flour (I usually use a mix of all purpose and whole wheat)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
- Stir together oats, orange juice, yogurt and dried cranberries right away and let sit while you gather up the rest of the ingredients and get ready. You want the oats and cranberries to have a chance to soften up a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Stir sourdough starter and brown sugar into oats.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir oil and egg into oat mixture.
- Then stir in dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from muffin tin and cool on wire rack.
Welcome to #CranberryWeek, hosted by Caroline's Cooking and A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures. We'll be sharing cranberry-inspired creations all week long in celebration of national cranberry day. Search #CranberryWeek to keep up to date and follow the #CranberryWeek Pinterest board for more cranberry inspiration. But first, see all the other cranberry recipes being shared today:
- Baked Pork Chops with Cranberry Thyme Sauce from Hostess At Heart
- Cranberry Caipirinha from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cranberry Chicken Thokku from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cranberry Cornbread Dressing from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cranberry Cornbread Stuffing from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Cranberry Oatmeal Sourdough Muffins from Cooking With Carlee
- Cranberry-Sage Breakfast Sausage from Palatable Pastime
- Jaegerschnitzel with Cranberry-Raspberry Sauce from Caroline’s Cooking
- Pumpkin Cranberry Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks