Hi everyone, and welcome to cranberry week! Please remain seated and keep your arms and legs in the vehicle until we come to a complete stop. I know this week is a bit crazy for everyone, turkey day just a few days away and all, but we thought we would give you some great ways to use cranberries this week. Maybe you will get a few ideas to use still before Thanksgiving. If not, Christmas season officially starts on Friday and there will be plenty of chances to get the cranberry juices flowing.
To be honest, cranberries are a somewhat newly acquired taste for me. I grew up only knowing the cranberries that came jellied in a can. I honestly couldn't really tell you if I even like it or not. When there are so many delicious options to be had on a Thanksgiving spread, I am going to be hard pressed to give up even a square inch of my plate to something that still has the rib lines from the inside of a can. No judging, just give me a little bit extra mashed potatoes and gravy any day!
At some point I developed a fondness to dried cranberries. They are great on salads, in cookies or in trail mix. But I still wouldn't have considered myself much of a cranberry aficionado. In the last few years, I have come around. I started making my own cranberry sauce from fresh berries. (To be honest, I'd probably still take a little more mashed potatoes and gravy... but I like the sauce when they aren't in direct competition for that last bit of room on my plate.) I have also used cranberries to make a delicious and festive Orange Cranberry Charlotte Russe.
So that brings us to this snack cake. I think it might be one of my favorite cranberry recipes yet. It has a sweet, dense, simple cake studded with those tart berries that burst and give beautiful color and flavor. You really can't get much easier. I made this batch and brought it in to my coworkers as part of my (probably obnoxiously) large spread of birthday treats. I will be sharing a couple more recipes of my birthday treats in the next couple weeks. I thought the cookies I made would go quickly, but wasn't sure about the cranberry snack cake. It seems like people have a love/hate relationship with the little gems. To my surprise, this was the most raved about of the treats.
I probably shouldn't have been too surprised, they really were delicious. Please promise me you'll give them a try!
makes a 9x13" cake, serving about 16 people
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a 9x13" pan.
- In you mixer, beat together eggs and sugar on medium high until they are pale, thick and voluminous (about 6 minutes).
- Add the butter and vanilla and beat for 3 more minutes.
- Stir in the flour until just combined, then fold in the cranberries and orange zest.
- Spread in your prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. The top should be lightly golden and an inserted toothpick should test clean.
- Cool completely then cut into small pieces to serve.
Welcome to #CranberryWeek, hosted by Caroline's Cooking and A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures. We'll be sharing cranberry-inspired creations all week long in celebration of national cranberry day. Search #CranberryWeek to keep up to date and follow the #CranberryWeek Pinterest board for more cranberry inspiration. But first, see all the other cranberry recipes being shared today:
- Cranberry-Apple Sauce from The Chef Next Door
- Cranberry Cornbread from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Cranberry Maple Delicata Squash Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Cranberry Orange Baked Brie from Books n' Cooks
- Cranberry Palmiers from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Cranberry Rosemary Cornbread from Life Currents
- Cranberry Snack Cake from Cooking With Carlee
- Cranberry Upside Down Cake from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Noreaster from Family Around The Table
- Pork Shashlyk and Tkemali from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cranberries from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Roasted Shallot Cranberry Chutney from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Brisket from Palatable Pastime
- Stuffed Endive with Blue Cheese, Walnuts & Cranberries from Full Belly Sisters
- Upsidedown Cranberry Cake from Hostess At Heart