Ho ho ho! It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas! Is it just me or is time flying? I could really use one nice clear day to catch up... but then I'd probably want one more. So, we'll just have to make due with the hours that we have. At least I have plenty of cookies to keep me going through the season! A month long sugar high? It seems like there are worse things! ;-)
It is hard to believe we are already on day 11 of our 12 days of cookies. I have found so many great ideas along the way. My list of new cookies to try is growing every day. I will still be baking Christmas cookies well into the new year! Have you had a chance to check out any of the other cookies yet? There is something for everyone!
I know I already shared a chocolate covered cherry cookie, but this idea popped into my head and I just couldn't let it go. I took a basic melt in your mouth snowball recipe and made it chocolate. Then I wrapped it around a cherry. Let me tell you, it worked every bit as well as I imagined. Mine had a dark, not to sweet chocolate shell. You could easily dial back the cocoa a bit and replace it with the same amount of flour if you wanted a milder chocolate cookie. No matter what, they are sure to be enjoyed!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Snowballs
makes about 30 cookies
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 jar maraschino cherries
additional powdered sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Drain the jar of cherries and spread the cherries out the dry. They dryer they are, the easier it is to work the dough around them. Patting them down with a paper towel is encouraged.
- Cream the butter until it is smooth and fluffy. Beat in the powdered sugar.
- Stir together the flour and cocoa powder and then mix into the butter mixture.
- Work about a Tablespoon of dough around cherry to form a ball.
- Place about an inch apart on a baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then roll in powdered sugar. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Welcome to the 12 Days of Cookies, hosted by Family Around the Table and Cooking With Carlee. We will be filling the season with all kinds of delicious cookies. Be sure to check out some of the recipes below or you can follow along on Facebook or Twitter by searching #ChristmasCookies. We also have a 12 Days of Cookies Pinterest board where you can see all of the goodness! May your holidays be sweet!
Cherry Pistachio Icebox Cookies from Palatable Pastime
Chocolate Covered Cherry Snowballs from Cooking With Carlee
Easy Cannoli Cookies from Jolene's Recipe Journal
Manju from A Day in the Life on the Farm