My town has a group of restaurants that are some of the most popular in town. They are all owned by a local family and have some of the best food around. In fact, my husband worked at one for a good part of his twenties. It serves pizza and Mexican food. I know it sounds like a strange combo, but it really works. Add in pitchers are margaritas and you are really in business. Kelly's is the Irish pub version of the four hot spots. They serve great burgers, salads, sandwiches, chicken fingers and all of the things you would expect at a family pub. They also have a salad bar with everything you would expect plus big fluffy cinnamon rolls and their famous cheese soup.
In fact, a lot of people visit just for the salad bar and wouldn't be the least bit ashamed just getting the cheese soup and cinnamon rolls. Hey, if it's good, it's good! My grandma has been making this copycat version of the cheese soup for as long as I can remember and it is every bit as good. In fact, I pulled this recipe from the family cookbook she and my aunt put together when I was still a relatively small kid.
There is so much yummy goodness in this soup. There are plenty of veggies, potatoes, noodles and of course a creamy cheesy delicious base. It is like a big old comforting hug on a cold day. Plus it comes together super quickly. It is a great soup to make in a large slow cooker as well. Just be careful to watch it once it is all melted as the edges can scorch a bit if you aren't careful.
This cheese soup has graced many a get together in my family. In fact it has graced grandma's table on Christmas as well as been a hit at many a "souper bowl" party. It is good enough to be served to company and easy enough to make on a random cold Monday night. So please, please, try this soup. It is like taking a taste of my hometown home with you.
Copycat Kelly's Cheese Soup
serves about 12
6 cups chicken stock
2 1/2 cups diced potatoes
1 small onion, diced
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 12oz bag frozen California mix vegetables
1 can sliced mushrooms
6 oz macaroni noodles, cooked and drained
2 lb Velveeta, cubed
- In a large soup pot, bring chicken stock, potatoes and onion to a boil. Boil for about 15 minutes.
- Add the frozen vegetables, mushrooms and cream of chicken soup and continue to cook until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cooked noodles and cubes of cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and soup is creamy.
- Asian Diet Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Grandma's Copycat Kelly's Cheese Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Rotisserie Chicken Bacon Corn Chowder from The Frugal Pantry
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Delicata Squash Soup with Curried Chickpeas and Onions from Caroline's Cooking