My brother K.C. was pondering another crab fest. He hosted us for one a while back that was a hit and seafood seems to be our New Year's Eve thing. We have had seafood feasts a few years running with a slight break in tradition for our prime rib extravaganza last year! As we were discussing how much crab would be the right amount, Chloe chimed in with you should really make that seafood chowder. We all quickly agreed. You know it has to be good when it takes our mind off of crab legs!
K.C. made us this fish and shrimp chowder a few months back and it was delicious. So, we knew we were in for a treat. My mom said she'd made a pot of soup for the non-seafood eaters. (I know, I don't get it either!) I volunteered to make dessert, roasted shrimp and a hot dip or two. And just like that New Year's Eve was planned.
This soup is definitely special enough to make for a nice holiday or dinner guests. It is also easy enough to pull off on a weeknight if you feel like treating yourself to a warm bowl of seafood love. No matter the occasion, it is sure to be a new favorite!
K.C.'s Fish and Shrimp Chowder
4 slices bacon
2 T butter
3 small onions, diced
1 T chopped thyme
3 bay leaves
3 pounds yukon gold potatoes, cubed
6 cups fish stock
2 lbs cod, cut into large chunks
2 lbs raw peeled shrimp
3 cups cream
- Cook bacon in a large soup pot until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and once cooled chop into small pieces.
- Add butter, bay leaves, thyme and onion to the pot and cook until the onions are soft.
- Add potatoes and fish stock. Bring to a boil for 12 minutes then reduce the heat and add the fish and shrimp. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and chopped bacon. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
- Serve immediately.
Palatable Pastime. This week is all about delicious and warming soups. Be sure to check out some of the recipes below or you can follow along on FaceBook, Twitter, Google+ and Instagram using the hashtag #SoupWeek. We also have a #SoupWeek Pinterest Board where you can see all of the offerings in one easy to access spot! What a great way to stay warm in cold weather!
- Asian Diet Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Grandma's Copycat Kelly's Cheese Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Rotisserie Chicken Bacon Corn Chowder from The Frugal Pantry
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Delicata Squash Soup with Curried Chickpeas and Onions from Caroline's Cooking
- Vegetable Beef Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Maw-Maw's Chili Mac Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Italian Wedding Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cheat 'n' Eat Vietnamese Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Enchilada Verde Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Leftover Bean Salsa Chili from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Meatball Soup from Palatable Pastime
- K.C.'s Seafood Chowder from Cooking with Carlee
- Creamy Chicken Soup from The Frugal Pantry
- Kale and Squash Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm