It's that fun time of year when we really get locked into football. Even just kind of fans are suddenly paying attention. Even non-fans are wondering what they should eat during the big game. Even commercial watchers need to eat after all! We start warming up for the big dance by making extra snacks during the playoffs. We need to be good and ready, after all!
This Pig Skin Cheese Ball is a perfectly fun and easy way to celebrate. The shape makes it festive #footballfood but it is really perfect any time of year. You can roll it into a ball of course, in face I recommend you do that for your next potluck. But right now, the football is the only way to go!
I made this for the Sunday games last week. They were both nailbiters. A pot of chili and 2/3 of this cheese ball disappeared in no time. Maybe it was all the stress? That may have had something to do with it. But the fact that it is delicious didn't hurt anything. In fact, as each new person arrived Matt suggested they shouldn't try the cheese ball. "It's terrible" he said. Then he dug in for another bite. We were all surprised he didn't end up skipping the crackers and just go for it with a spoon as time went on.
Pig Skin Cheese Ball
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
16 oz cream cheese, softened
1 (1 oz) ranch seasoning mix
1 pound bacon, cooked crisp
1 stick string cheese
- Chop the crisp and cooled bacon into small pieces.
- Stir together the cream cheese, ranch mix, cheddar and 1/3 of the bacon pieces.
- Form into a football shape and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least a half hour.
- Remove plastic wrap and football on serving tray. Press remaining bits of bacon into the ball to coat.
- Use string cheese to make laces on the ball.
- Serve with crackers.
A few of my blogger friends and I wanted to make sure you had plenty of delicious eats for the big game. Make this your menu and you will not be disappointed.
1. Mini Sweet and Spicy Cheese Ball from Dad What's 4 Dinner
2. Mexican Queso Dip from Palatable Pastime
3. Baked Onion Dip from Family Around the Table
4. Sloppy Joe Buffalo Chicken Sliders from Tip Garden
5. 5 Ingredient Loaded Baked Potato Dip from Corn, Beans, Pigs, Kids
6. Buffalo Chicken Taquitos from Cooking With Carlee
7. Toasted Mexican Ravioli from Jolene's Recipe Journal
8. Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Jalapeno Poppers from Cooking With Carlee
9. Freezer to Crockpot Italian Sausage Grinders from Tip Garden
10. Masala Spiced "Bollywood" Popcorn from Palatable Pastime
11. Spicy Beer Bratwurst Sliders from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
12. Caramel Crispix Mix from Corn, Beans, Pigs, Kids
13. Pizza Quesadillas from Jolene's Recipe Journal
14. Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders from Family Around the Table
15. Healthy Turkey and Cheese Roll-Ups from Palatable Pastime
16. Game Day Black Bean Habanero Chili from Dad What's 4 Dinner
17. Warm and Cheesy Pulled Pork Dip from Cooking With Carlee
18. Cinnamon Streusel Dessert Pizza from Tip Garden
19. Raspberry Glazed Chicken Wings from Family Around the Table
20. Sweet and Spicy Hog Wild Baked Beans from Corn, Beans, Pigs, Kids
21. Doritos Locos Nachos from Jolene's Recipe Journal