You all had to have known it was bound to happen, another leftover pulled pork recipe! I hope you love them as much as I do. My brother smoked 4 pork butts in the beginning of December. He was doing some for my sister's wedding and figured while he was smoking some meat, he might as well really go for it! We were lucky enough to end up with a few quart sized bags of yummy, smoky, delicious pulled pork for the freezer. One portion ended up becoming a deliciously smoky and out of this world addictive dip that I hope to share soon. Another portion became soup for #soupweek!
One of my favorite pulled pork recipes so far is the Pulled Pork Enchiladas with Creamy Cheese Sauce. So, I thought it would be fun to make a creamy enchilada inspired soup. This soup is easy and full of fun textures and flavors.
Even my non-soup eating husband admitted that he liked this soup. I made him a ham and cheese quesadilla to go along with it to make it an acceptable dinner. You know, in his world soup isn't dinner. I don't know what is wrong with him. I think soup is the perrrrrrrfect winter dinner!
Of course, this soup doesn't really seem to be much to look at, but I doubt you will spend much time looking at it anyway. Just give it a try and let the flavor do the talking!
Pulled Pork Enchilada Verde Soup
1 T olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
8 cup chicken stock
3 15.5 oz cans of white beans (I used 1 each of garbanzo, great northern and butter)
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp minced garlic
1-2 lb pulled pork
12 oz jar salsa verde
1/4 cup coarse corn meal
8 oz cream cheese
- In large soup pot, sweat the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until they are translucent.
- Add the chicken stock, beans, cumin, garlic and pulled pork. Simmer for at least a half hour. (Longer is even better, just stir occasionally.)
- Before serving, stir in the salsa verde and corn meal. Simmer for a few minutes. Then stir in the cream cheese until it is melted and incorporated.
- Serve with bits or tortilla toasted in a dry skillet, sour cream and chives or cilantro.
Welcome to the #SoupWeek, hosted by Palatable Pastime. This week is all about delicious and warming soups. Be sure to check out some of the recipes below or you can follow along on FaceBook, Twitter, Google+ and Instagram using the hashtag #SoupWeek. We also have a #SoupWeek Pinterest Board where you can see all of the offerings in one easy to access spot! What a great way to stay warm in cold weather!
- Asian Diet Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Grandma's Copycat Kelly's Cheese Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Rotisserie Chicken Bacon Corn Chowder from The Frugal Pantry
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Delicata Squash Soup with Curried Chickpeas and Onions from Caroline's Cooking
- Vegetable Beef Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Maw-Maw's Chili Mac Soup from Cooking with Carlee
- Italian Wedding Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm