Sometimes a grilled cheese sandwich is more than a grilled cheese sandwich. To be honest I enjoy even the simplest grilled cheese. You know the kind, the old childhood favorite of a slice of american cheese sandwiched between two slices of white sandwich bread toasted with a bit of butter. Of course you could serve it up with some tomato soup and really go for the gusto. I mean, you might as well for old time sake and I wouldn't blame you one bit. There is something about the buttery toasty simplicity of all that makes me hungry just thinking about it.
But sometimes you want something a bit more. There are so many different flavorful combinations you could put together. Whatever your favorite sandwich is, there is a pretty good chance it would be better grilled up. So I can't wait to see all of the grilled cheese sandwiches my friends create for today's grilled cheese event. I've seen some of the titles and now I just have to see the pictures. I suppose I might as well have my grocery list handy while I'm at it as I know I am going to want to make grilled cheese sandwiches every day for the coming weeks!
That leads me to my toasty taste combination. I was toying with a few different ideas when inspiration struck. My friend, Tish, used to make a delicious sandwich. She put a schmear of may, some pesto, plenty of turkey, some cheese and dried cranberries all on some hearty bread. It sounds like quite the combination, but it really works. The sweet cranberries, fresh herby pesto and all that turkey. I thought it would make a perfect grilled cheese!
Then the wheels really got turning. What if I did it on smaller rolls and made sliders. Now we were firing on all cylinders. My grocery store has a nice selection of fresh baked breads and rolls. I wanted something whole wheat and they had perfect little cocktail buns that fit the bill nicely. So, I picked up the rest of ingredients and headed home to make something delicious. I am glad to say it was every bit as good as I envisioned! To be honest, I wasn't sure what my husband would think. He isn't usually big on sweet in his savory food but he ate four of them and complimented them every few bites. He said he'd happily write a review if I needed one. So I'd say it was a winner all the way around.
Tish's Tasty Turkey Grilled Cheese Sliders
makes 6 sliders
6 wheat dinner rolls or cocktail buns
2-3 Tablespoons pesto
4 slices mozzarella cheese
4 slices provolone cheese
12 slices shaved turkey
4 Tablespoons dried cranberries
1-2 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat a griddle or electric skillet to medium.
- Slice the buns in half, keeping them attached if possible. Turn them inside out and spread pesto on the inside of half of the rolls. Sprinkle with cranberries.
- Put half of the cheese on top of the cranberries and the other half on the other side. Put the turkey between the layers of cheese and put it all together.
- Spread butter over the now inside out rolls and place on hot skillet. Cover if possible to allow the cheese to melt. When the bottom is golden brown, flip the sliders and continue to cook until the cheese is melty and the bread is toasty and golden.
- Apple Cheddar Bacon Grilled Cheese by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Down the Grilled Cheese Rabbit Hole by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Cheddar, Onion and Tomato Sandwich by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Inside-Out Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Reuben Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Quadruple Grilled Cheese by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Roast Beef, Brie and Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Around the Table
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich by All that's Jas
- "The Jammin' Jamaican" Chicken Grilled Cheese by Caroline's Cooking
- Tish's Tasty Turkey Grilled Cheese Sliders by Cooking With Carlee